Bouquet Garni

A great way to incorporate flavor and aroma into a dish that you are cooking is to add a bouquet garni. This is a French term directly translated as "garnished bouquet" and is made by bundling herbs (traditionally, fresh parsley, fresh thyme, and fresh bay leaf) usually tied together with a string and dropped into the dish being cooked. Other items that typically go into bouquet garnis are crushed garlic cloves and peppercorns.

The best uses for bouquet garni are in slow cooking dishes like braised meats and vegetables, and soups because it allows for enough time to extract flavors from the bouquet garni to meld into your cooking. Another method of bundling the herbs is to use cheesecloth and kitchen twine. I use a tea infuser so that I don't have to worry about discarding twine or cheesecloth. The used bouquet garni, I toss in our composte bin for our fruit trees. The infuser, I wash and dry ready for the next time I need it. Go green, my friends!

By the way, you don't have to stick with the traditional herbs for all of your dishes. You can vary what you include in your bouquet garni based on the type of food you're cooking. For example, in heartier dishes like beef stew, try using marjoram, oregano, rosemary, or sage. For light soups, try using basil to brighten the flavor. Experiment with the different combinations of flavors.

You can purchase tea infusers like the one on the photo or something similar at local kitchen equipment stores, department stores or online like Enjoying Tea dot com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search


Return to Gourmet Conspiracy Website

About Me

My photo
I am the co-owner and founder of Gourmet Conspiracy, a personal chef and catering service based in Lakewood, California. My objective here is to provide open communication about various types of food and their benefits towards our health. As far as my training, I graduated from Kitchen Academy in July 2007 with high honors. I have a great deal of passion about learning the cooking styles and techniques from various cultures and incorporating them in fusion dishes.

House Rules:

Rule #1: You may comment as much and as often as you wish but I have the final decision on what is posted on this site. I have the right to and will delete any material or information entry that I deem inappropriate.

Rule #2: See rule #1.

Rule #3: No shirts - no shoes - no service!

If you have any objections to these rules, get out of my kitchen!

Kitchen Visitors: